How do I consume this?

 In my youth, I was an AVID reader.  I would check out three to five books at a time and be done with them before the week ended.  To accomplish this I would hide in the bathroom (it was the closest to my room) and read.... until my mother would catch me.  Same with learning a new skill, I would acquire a book and learn how to do the task.  Of course, you had to hope that the book you wanted was available at that library.  Insert technological advancements.  With the help of online reading applications such as Amazon Kindle and websites like Z Library, hundreds of books and manuals are at your disposal instantly.  Digital books and manuals take up less space than physical books, and with PRIME most of the time, you don't have to pay to read.  Figuring out how to operate the Kindle is simple, as when you purchase the book on Amazon, you select the device you want the book delivered to and it's ready to read.  Z Library there are several steps to be taken prior to reading, and that requires some trial and error (mostly Google) but once you've learned how to do it, the task is easy to replicate.

     Technology has also made it to that you can enjoy books and do other activities.  Audiobooks can turn dull and empty times into enjoyable ones, with the soothing sounds of actors reading out the pages with passion and fervor.  Before you needed physical tape or a compact disc (CD) to enjoy reading your favorite authors' written words.  Now there are online applications that allow you to download the audiobook to a mobile device and listen to them whenever and wherever.  There are even YouTube videos where the poster has taken the time to animate the scenes of stories.  Learning a new skill has also been digitalized.  Before knowledge had to be passed down from word of mouth to books and manuals to a simple video on the internet.  I have spoken to so many people who said they learned how to change their oil and filters on their vehicles from some random person on the internet.  I personally, have been struggling to learn a new language (Korean).  I excel at online learning for most subjects, however languages are easier for me in person.  The struggle to learn makes me give up, even applications like DuoLingo and Mango Languages have failed to keep me engaged.  And traditional book language learning doesn't work for me either, because there is nothing to keep me accountable.  So I just stopped.  But recently because of Instagram and TikTok, I found Drops - Google Play or Drops - Apple Apps Store, which make a game out of learning the language as well as testing/challenging your knowledge.  Most of these technologies are available in their own specialized applications, so there is nothing to learn besides hitting the play button.

    


Comments